Tuesday, July 15, 2008

New York traffic jams


Today's New York Times notes that despite restrictions on take offs and landings at the New York City airports, delays continue through this summer. While much of the article speaks to problems associated with weather and labor disputes, the real problem is buried in the last paragraph of the story. The only way to decrease the traffic jams in New York City is to build additional runways with new approach and departure routes. However, these advances are being blocked by communities worried about the noise. This NIMBY (Not In My Back Yard) problem is pretty disgraceful, considering that catering to a few cranky New Yorkers' noise complaints ends up causing massive delays that ripple throughout the entire air traffic system. I like my peace and quiet just as much as the next guy (so much that I moved from New York to Vermont), but New Yorker's can't expect to have a first rate air system that is conveniently located and accessible, without enduring a rumble or two of an airplane every now and again. I mean what's the big deal, I grew up in the flight pattern of Burlington International Airport, and look at how well adjusted I am!

1 comment:

soapy t said...

growing up in st. louis i waved at planes as they flew over my backyard.