Thursday, May 1, 2008

Just when you thought you could relax


The amazing thing about my fear of flying is that I'm only scared while in the air. When I'm on the ground, taxiing, landing, whatever, I'm straight shits and giggles. That's why the most recent story regarding the real "danger zone" of flying being when you're on the GROUND was disturbing to say the least.

I mean seriously, in an age in which I can see, in real time, everything from the weather in Sri Lanka, to the location of an ex-roommate's apartment in San Francisco, to what's on Tuesday's menu at our new favorite restaurant in Paris, we have a lot of technology out there, and yet somehow pilots and air traffic controllers can't see each other on the ground. It's absolutely pathetic. Somehow our government justifies spending 1/2 a trillion a year on the defense budget to keep us "safe", while the real risk to our lives is taxing out on runway 2E at Laguardia. What a country.


P.S. The flying experience on the honeymoon to Paris/Italy lived up to all the hype: AirCanada was amazing, the most relaxing and dignified travel experience of my life; easyjet, no frills but they had the most beautiful (male) flight attendants we've ever seen; and Lufthansa, efficient, orderly, very German.

No comments: